Friday, November 4, 2011

Surviving Frustrations & Celebrating the Challenges


We started our day by working on our mathematical problem solving skills with our individualized programming in Math Rules.   

Next, we completed our first "hands-on" problem solving challenge. Using only one pair scissors, a one inch cube of clay, an 8.5x11 inch sheet of paper, two drinking straws, two folder labels and six popsicle sticks the students had to create the tallest, free standing structure possible. The base of the structure also had to fit within a five inch square.
To be successful, students must be fluent, flexible thinkers. They need a steady stream of ideas and they must be able to adapt and change direction or strategy as new problems arise. We started with five minutes to brainstorming designs on their planning form and they then were given twelve minutes to actually construct their tower.

This task is very similar to the one my junior in high school did this summer at an engineering camp at Missouri S & T.  Gifted classrooms have been doing this kind of problems solving exercise for as long as I have been teaching gifted-- and certainly before that.  I was a little surprised, but very excited to see that an engineering school teaches college students some of their problem solving skills in ways very similar to our own. I told our students about it.  How cool is it to be a K-2nd grade student and be able to say you are learning and doing the same thing as an engineering major in college!

It is fun to see the room go completely silent as each student's brain is fully engaged in the task. The students used a variety of designs for their towers and most were successful. Our tallest tower, for this first attempt, was 48 cm!  (In most cases, students nearly double the height of their structure when given a second chance to accomplish this problem on another day.

Before we ever began, I told the students we rarely get through a structure problem without at least one person in tears.  I always clearly explain the task and my expectations because I don't want any student to be caught off guard by their feelings of frustration and disappointment.  Sometimes, just having the conversation first is enough to survive the task with our confidence and composure still intact.  So today, my pep talk wasn't enough.  A couple of students pretty much emotionally washed out with the final minute or two on the clock.  The reason I put a time limit on the stages of the task is:
  1. The task would never end because there would always be someone that "had to have more time to finish."
  2. I am intentionally raising the pressure to test the frustration level of the kids.--I need to see how they handle frustration and they need opportunities to experience it.
This task may be based on creativity, science and engineering, but the most valuable lessons for elementary children are affective.  It may sound bad at first, but from my perspective and experience, the frustration and even the tears are a positive outcome of the lesson.  Hands-on problem solving tasks develop the skills needed to solve real world problems and provide the students an opportunity to experience challenge, frustration and even failure in a "simulation" type of environment.  The pressure feels real, the students are highly motivated, a successful outcome is desired, but a failed solution comes with no real penalty. 

In this teachable moment, we can (and did) discuss how individuals positively and negatively handle frustration, stress and challenge, why some students quit and others persevere and the feelings their classmates that struggle academically might have on a regular basis. For some students, it is the "Ah Ha!" moment that enables them to empathize with their peers and avoid hurtful bragging.  Having said that, it takes a great deal of maturity and wisdom for an individual to celebrate their academic success in a way that does not make someone else feel less and so, the conversation continues...

They ended the task by evaluating their designs, construction and finished structure on their hands-on planning form.  Have your child share their planning sheet with you and let them discuss what they learned from it all.

Growing up in a culture where athletic, theatrical, musical and artistic "winners" are hailed with attention, applause, trophies and recognition it is only natural that students with academic gifts will initially seek that same response when they achieve a level of success. Although I find it to be hypocritical that is how the world is. I think it is our job as parents, teachers and advocates for bright children to guide them, model an appropriate level of humility and provide them opportunities to celebrate their success and receive genuine praise.



Next, the students met our newest Quirkle, Colorful Caroline.  We learned about primary and secondary colors and had a lot of fun with an experiment where the students
discovered black marker ink is made from a combination of several different colored inks.  Have your child tell you about their hypothesis and observations.  I also sent the materials with the students to conduct and share the experiment with you too!

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Koch,
    It was really frustrating building the towers. I can`t believe mine was 2 cenimeters long! I had fun with Colorful Caroline and her experiment. I didn`t know the word chromatography. Don`t have so much chaos. Have a marvelous and non-chaos week,
    Zachary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Zachary,
    I copied and pasted your comment and published it without your last name. Remember first names ONLY when you are blogging. That is a very important blogging safety rule.

    I know the tower was frustrating. I wanted it to be that way. It helps us to learn how to handle challenges and how to be a flexible thinker. I know you can do it!

    I have had a fun, non-chaos kind of week. I hope you have too. See you on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. Koch,
    Happy Thanksgiving! I loved making the video about plagiarism. When can we do something like that again but with a different activity?

    Camila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Camila,
    It was a fun lesson for me too. I'm glad you liked it. I'm not sure when we will do another video. They take more time for me to get them edited for the blog. We will have to see. I enjoyed my break and I am looking forward to getting back and seeing all of my students!

    ReplyDelete